Saturday, October 25, 2008

Character 8: Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition

Wow, it's been a while since my last post! However, here I am again, making yet another character. Unfortunately most of my RPG stuff is in my other house (insert long, boring, moving out story here), including my Dungeon magazines, so I'm going to divert our course and skip right ahead to Dungeons and Dragons, 4th edition.

Once again, the cornerstone of the RPG world has undergone an edition change. I could go into great detail about the changes, the incessant bitching of nerds everywhere about how WoTC has ruined their game and how apparently the WoW hordes shall descend upon us like a plague of locusts, thus causing the end of Wester Civilisation itself. But really, that stuff is just boring.

I like 4e. Yes, it's a bit combat focused, but I don't care. If you play D&D, yuo should expect a certain kind of experience, mainly revolving around killing orcs and stealing their pies. Whatever else can be said of 4e, they've made combat fun again. Straight off the bat, your character can take on small hordes with a variety of interesting powers that encourage you to come up with your own flavour. Also, there's a new emphasis on team building, rather than character building, so you no longer have that one guy who basically does the job of the entire party by themselves.

Anyway, let's skip to the character making, shall we?

4e encourages point buy to ensure balanced characters, but I think I'll stick with the random roll method. After rolling 4d6 6 times, dropping the lowest, my results are:

10, 12, 14, 14, 13, 17

Could be better, could be a lot worse. Seems the dice gods are happy that I've returned to this holy quest, but aren't just going to give things to me on a silver platter.

the 4e Player's Handbook has eight races and classes, which made randomly picking what race/class combo a simple matter. After rolling 2d8, it was determined that i create a Human Warlock

Humans in 4e fit far better into their "second best at everything" schtick they were supposed to have in 3 and 3.5, which actually turned out to be "that extra feat just makes us really kickass at everything". There are very few classes humans are bad at and they are really awesome at others, wizards in particular.

Warlocks are possibly the most flavourful class in 4e. You're basically the dude who gives up your soul for some arcane power. There are three pacts to choose from, so in the interests of randomness, I roll 1d6 and it turns out my warlock made a pact with things beyond the stars, aka, is a Star Pact Warlock.

A bit of picking and choosing, and here is what i end up with:

Mayloke, Lady of the Pearl Alignments
Female Human Star Pact Warlock

Strength 10 Constitution 16
Dexterity 12 Intelligence 14
Wisdom 13 Charisma 17

HP 28 Bloodied 14 Surge Value 7 Surges/Day 9
Init: +1
AC: 14
Fortitude 14 Reflex 14 Will 15

Feats: Action Surge, Improved Fate of the Void
Skills: Arcana +7 History +7 Insight +6 Intimidate +8 Religion +7

Equipment: Leather Armour, Rod, Fine Clothing, Silk Rope, 23gp

Powers
At Will: Eldritch Blast, Dire Radiance, Hellish Rebuke
Encounter: Dreadful Word
Daily: Dread Star

Ta da! I'll admit, this character isn't exactly going to be the most powerful, but eh. I envisioned her as the sort of high-class, slightly insane yet incredibly charismatic oracle. She charges high prices for her services!

Stay tuned for the (hopefully soon) return to Paizo characters!

No comments: